This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 15-year-old has been diagnosed with major depression and admitted to the adolescent unit. Which ... (Read 13 times)

LCritchfi

A 15-year-old has been diagnosed with major depression and admitted to the adolescent unit. Which behavior would the nurse expect to observe in this client?

1. Discussing repeated offenses with the law enforcement authorities
  2. Egocentricity, manipulativeness, callousness, superficiality
  3. Blaming others for causing him to be admitted to the unit
  4. Reporting decreased enjoyment of school-related activities

Question 2

A16-year-old girl has been on the adolescent unit for 7 days, having been admitted for attempted suicide by overdosing on an undetermined number and mixture of over-the-counter medications.

Which statement by the client would warrant additional investigation before she is released from the unit?
  1. I have learned a lot about myself and realize how foolish I was to try to hurt myself.
  2. Sometimes I wonder whether my friends would have attended my funeral had I died.
  3. I feel secure now that I know who to call should I become desperate again.
  4. What a beautiful day I'm glad I can enjoy it.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Kimmy

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 4
Anhedonia, absence of pleasure, is a common manifestation of depression. Options 1 and 2 are characteristic of conduct disorder. Option 3 is common to conduct disorder and opposition-al-defiant disorder.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 2
From this statement, the nurse can hypothesize that the client may be interested in gaining atten-tion from peers and might try to harm herself again. Option 1 reflects an understanding of her behavior and its consequences. Option 3 is a positive statement indicating awareness of how to seek help. Option 4 is a positive statement suggesting she is feeling less depressed.

Kimmy

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

All adults should have their cholesterol levels checked once every 5 years. During 2009–2010, 69.4% of Americans age 20 and older reported having their cholesterol checked within the last five years.

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

A good example of polar molecules can be understood when trying to make a cake. If water and oil are required, they will not mix together. If you put them into a measuring cup, the oil will rise to the top while the water remains on the bottom.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library