This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client who has been on the unit for 2 weeks relates a 15-year history of polysubstance abuse with ... (Read 71 times)

jessicacav

A client who has been on the unit for 2 weeks relates a 15-year history of polysubstance abuse with several detoxifications followed by relapses.

The client mentions that when he is released from the hospital, he tries to get on with my life and put this other stuff in the past. The nurse identifies an appropriate outcome as being that client will:
  1. View recovery is a lifelong process occurring a day at a time
  2. Identify reasons for past episodes of noncompliance
  3. Discuss childhood factors that impact on his drug use
  4. Recognize his need for methadone maintenance

Question 2

A client is seen who has a 10-year history of dependence on alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine. The client is separated from his wife and tells the nurse, I can't get my life together.

I don't eat regular meals, the apartment is a mess, and I forget to pay bills. I'm not managing. The priority nursing diagnosis for this client is:
  1. Ineffective denial
  2. Risk for loneliness
  3. Ineffective coping
  4. Powerlessness

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jlaineee

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 1
Options 2 and 3 are past issues and not as helpful as a future focus. Methadone maintenance is not appropriate for polysubstance abuse, so option 4 is incorrect. A helpful view of recovery is described in option 1.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 3
The client is verbalizing that he is not coping well, so option 3 is correct. The client is not denying his problems, so option 1 is incorrect. He does not verbalize an issue with loneliness, so option 2 is incorrect, and he does not describe lack of power, so option 4 is incorrect.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library