Author Question: A client on an antipsychotic medication develops a high fever, unstable blood pressure, and mus-cle ... (Read 25 times)

aabwk4

A client on an antipsychotic medication develops a high fever, unstable blood pressure, and mus-cle rigidity. Her next dose of medication is due. The nurse should:

1. Administer the medication and take the vital signs again
  2. Give a lower dose of the medication and take the blood pressure
  3. Prepare to give the prn anticholinergic, benztropine (Cogentin)
  4. Hold the medication and call the client's doctor immediately

Question 2

A client tells the nurse, I hear people whispering about me. When I'm in the day room and they do that, I want to punch them. The information the nurse should give to staff in report consists of which of the following?

1. Treat this client matter-of-factly. Be direct; don't talk about him or others in his presence.
  2. Stay away from this client. The fewer interactions you have with him, the fewer misinterpretations there will be.
  3. Stay close to this client and use touch as you interact with him.
  4. To help him become less anxious with whispering, speak in a very soft voice when you are near him.

DHRUVSHAH

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 4
These symptoms could be related to neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS), and the nurse should hold the medication and contact the doctor.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 1
This approach is important when providing care for a client who is misinterpreting reality and is suspicious of the motives of others. 2. This ostracizes the client and is nontherapeutic. 3. Clients often misinterpret touch as threatening. This might promote loss of control. 4. This direction would be nontherapeutic as it would increase client anxiety and promote loss of control.