This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client with schizophrenia tells the nurse as they sit in the day room, I hear voices telling me ... (Read 25 times)

chads108

A client with schizophrenia tells the nurse as they sit in the day room, I hear voices telling me bad things. The most therapeutic response the nurse can make is:

1. Tell me what the voices are saying.
  2. I understand you hear these so-called voices, but I hear only the people in the room talking.
  3. The voices are not real. They're only your imagination.
  4. Do you think the voices would go away if we went into your room to talk?

Question 2

A client with undifferentiated schizophrenia is readmitted for an acute exacerbation of the dis-order.

The goal of hospitalization is symptom stabilization. The nurse has documented that, in addition to experiencing auditory hallucinations, the client seems uninterested in activities, has difficulty completing tasks, seems forgetful, and seems puzzled by information and directions given by staff. The nurse's plans for intervention will be effective if these behaviors are attributed to:
  1. Social isolation
  2. Deficient knowledge
  3. Situational low self-esteem
  4. Problems in cognitive functioning

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bitingbit

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
By voicing his or her own reality related to the voices, the nurse does not deny the client's expe-riences but helps the client distinguish actual voices from those resulting from internal stimula-tion. Option 1 validates the reality of the voices. Option 3 will cause the client to defend his per-ceptions and thereby reinforce the importance of the hallucination. Option 4 again validates the reality of the voices and is not a helpful action since the voices go where the client goes.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 4
Schizophrenia may alter cognitive functioning, including memory, retention, attention, and the processing of incoming information. Altered cognition accounts for many of the symptoms men-tioned in the scenario. Knowing that cognition is altered, the nurse can adjust plans to take the deficits into account. Options 1, 2, and 3 do not adequately explain the symptoms given in the scenario.

chads108

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

billybob123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library