This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The mother of a client newly diagnosed with schizophrenia is a nurse. She unhappily tells the nurse ... (Read 33 times)

leilurhhh

The mother of a client newly diagnosed with schizophrenia is a nurse. She unhappily tells the nurse on the unit, I've tried to be a good mother, but my daughter still developed schizophrenia.

When I was in school, we were taught that it was the mother's fault if a child became schizo-phrenic. I wish I knew what I did wrong. The response that would help the mother evaluate models explaining schizophrenia would be:
  1. I can see how you would be upset over this turn of events.
  2. New findings suggest this disorder is biologic in nature.
  3. Don't be so hard on yourself; your daughter needs you to be strong.
  4. It's difficult to see that double-bind communication produces stress for the child at the time it's occurring.

Question 2

A mother discusses her concerns about genetic transmission of schizophrenia with the nurse say-ing, My son is a fraternal twin. He has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Will my other son develop schizophrenia, too?

The response that is both sensitive and shows understanding of the genetic component is:
  1. You poor woman I wish I could tell you he will be free of the disorder.
  2. Studies show that 50 of twins develop schizophrenia when it is present in the other twin.
  3. No one can say what will happen, so we will hope for the best for you and your sons.
  4. In fraternal twins, the chance of the other twin developing the disorder is quite small.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Carissamariew

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
Many individuals in the mental health field attribute the development of schizophrenia to multi-ple causes centering on biologic theories. Options 1, 3, and 4 do little to provide the mother with new information.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 4
Option 4 is a true statement and sensitively stated, whereas options 2 and 3 are not factual. Op-tion 1 demonstrates a sympathetic and therefore nontherapeutic response.

leilurhhh

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

matt95

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Elderly adults are living longer, and causes of death are shifting. At the same time, autopsy rates are at or near their lowest in history.

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

HIV testing reach is still limited. An estimated 40% of people with HIV (more than 14 million) remain undiagnosed and do not know their infection status.

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

It is important to read food labels and choose foods with low cholesterol and saturated trans fat. You should limit saturated fat to no higher than 6% of daily calories.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library