Author Question: The wife of a client diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia asks, I've been told that my hus-band's ... (Read 58 times)

09madisonrousseau09

The wife of a client diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia asks, I've been told that my hus-band's illness is probably related to imbalanced brain chemicals. Can you be more specific? The response based on the dopamine hypothesis is:

1. An increase in the brain chemical dopamine explains the presence of delusions and hallucinations.
  2. An increase in the brain chemical dopamine explains the presence of lack of mo-tivation and disordered affect.
  3. Decreased amounts of the brain chemical dopamine explain the presence of de-lusions and hallucinations.
  4. Breakdown of dopamine produces LSD, which in large amounts produces psy-chosis.

Question 2

A client has been admitted with disorganized type schizophrenia. The nurse observes blunted af-fect and social isolation. The client occasionally curses or calls another client a jerk without provocation.

The nurse asks the client how he is feeling, and he responds, Everybody picks on me. They fro-bitz me. The best response for the nurse to make would be:
  1. That's really too bad.
  2. Who do you mean when you say everybody'?
  3. What difference does frobitzing make?
  4. Why do they frobitz?

ambernicolefink

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 1
The statement in option 1 is true. The other statements are false.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 2
This response will help clarify the client's thinking and change the focus from global to specific. Option 1 sympathizes and is a nonproductive response. Options 3 and 4 accept the client's neol-ogism. Accepting the neologism supports the client's delusional thinking.