Author Question: A client, age 25, has been diagnosed with adjustment disorder, unspecified. His wife requested a ... (Read 15 times)

maychende

A client, age 25, has been diagnosed with adjustment disorder, unspecified. His wife requested a divorce 2 months ago, and his work has been adversely affected. Now he is in danger of losing his job.

Which of the following statements indicates that the client needs assistance in structuring his daily activities?
  1. My work hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., which is not that bad.
  2. All I want to do is get the job done, come home, and sleep.
  3. I guess I should include exercise in my daily schedule.
  4. Going out to eat with friends might be an enjoyable activity for me.

Question 2

Which of the following statements would correctly serve as a basis for teaching a family the usu-al outcome of an adjustment disorder?

1. The symptoms will likely resolve completely.
  2. The client may continue to be in danger of self-harm.
  3. Medications are frequently used to mask the symptoms.
  4. Relaxation is an effective tool to decrease stress.

Gabe

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
This statement suggests that the client has no leisure activity and no activity with friends, both of which he needs during this stressful time. Helping him restructure his time and activities could be helpful in achieving balance. Option 1 does not indicate a problem. Option 3 indicates under-standing of the need for exercise. Option 4 indicates that he is thinking of ways to change his isolating behaviors.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 1
The prognosis for most clients with adjustment disorders is good. In the majority of cases, identi-fication of the stressor and use of effective coping strategies result in resolution. 2. This not the usual outcome for an adjustment disorder. 3. Medications are not used routinely to treat adjust-ment disorders. 4. This is an intervention rather than an outcome.