This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Therapeutic interactions between the nurse and a manic client will be facilitated when the nurse: ... (Read 29 times)

humphriesbr@me.com

Therapeutic interactions between the nurse and a manic client will be facilitated when the nurse:

1. Uses a calm, matter-of-fact approach to structuring
  2. Focuses primarily on enforcing rigid limits
  3. Implements a laissez-faire approach to client behavior
  4. Encourages client use of humor and wit

Question 2

A client who is experiencing a manic episode approaches the nurse and with pressured speech states, I hate oatmeal. Let's get everybody together to do exercises. I'm thirsty and I'm burning up.

Get out of my way, I have to see that guy. The priority nursing action should be to:
  1. Measure the client's temperature and pulse
  2. Offer to have the dietitian visit to discuss his diet
  3. Tell the client he can lead exercises at community meeting
  4. Sigh with relief when the client ends the interaction and walks away

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ptupou85

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 1
A calm, matter-of-fact approach minimizes client need for defensiveness and minimizes power struggles. 2. The use of rigid limit setting leads to power struggles and escalation of client hyper-active, aggressive behavior. Structure and judicious limit setting are more therapeutic. 3. A lais-sez-faire approach is nontherapeutic; manic clients usually need structure. 4. Encouraging humor and wit often backfires. Clients with mania cannot maintain control of emotions and may shift from witty to angry in seconds.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 1
During a manic episode, the client may be inattentive to physical needs or illness. The brief re-mark about burning up could suggest fever. Thirst may accompany fever, be a sign of dehydra-tion, or be related to lithium administration. More information is needed. Because hyperactive clients have difficulty remaining still, taking the temperature and pulse will give priority infor-mation. If necessary, BP can be taken later. Option 2 is not a priority intervention. Option 3 fos-ters increased hyperactivity. Option 4 would not be therapeutic.

humphriesbr@me.com

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

Zebsrer

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

In 1885, the Lloyd Manufacturing Company of Albany, New York, promoted and sold "Cocaine Toothache Drops" at 15 cents per bottle! In 1914, the Harrison Narcotic Act brought the sale and distribution of this drug under federal control.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

Only one in 10 cancer deaths is caused by the primary tumor. The vast majority of cancer mortality is caused by cells breaking away from the main tumor and metastasizing to other parts of the body, such as the brain, bones, or liver.

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library