This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client who has been taking lithium carbonate 300 mg tid comes to the Outpatient Department with a ... (Read 11 times)

LaDunn

A client who has been taking lithium carbonate 300 mg tid comes to the Outpatient Department with a list of medications he is taking. Which of the medications on the list would require reevaluation of lithium dosage?

1. HydroDIURIL daily
  2. Navane bid
  3. Ativan at bedtime
  4. Cefobid daily

Question 2

A client asks the nurse, My doctor told me he thinks I have dysthymia. Can you explain that to me? The nurse will base the reply on knowledge that dysthymia:

1. Typically has an acute onset
  2. Involves delusional thinking
  3. Is chronic low-level depression
  4. Does not include suicidal ideation

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

LVPMS

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 1
Diuretics alter fluid and electrolyte balance, increasing risk for lithium toxicity; therefore option 1 is correct. Antipsychotic medications are frequently prescribed concurrently with lithium to manage acute symptoms of mania, so no reevaluation of lithium dose is necessary for option 2. Antianxiety drugs are not contraindicated with concurrent lithium use, so no lithium dose reevaluation is necessary for option 3. Antibiotics do not alter fluid and electrolyte balance, so readjustment of lithium dosage is not required for option 4.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 3
Dysthymia is identified as a chronic low-level depression frequently lasting over a period of sev-eral years without remitting. 1. Dysthymia has a slow, insidious onset. 2. Delusional thinking is not a common manifestation of dysthymia. 4. Suicidal thoughts are seen among dysthymic cli-ents.

LaDunn

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Wow, this really help

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

Persons who overdose with cardiac glycosides have a better chance of overall survival if they can survive the first 24 hours after the overdose.

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library