This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An inpatient with the diagnosis of bipolar disorder, manic type, became agitated and pushed an-other ... (Read 20 times)

mckennatimberlake

An inpatient with the diagnosis of bipolar disorder, manic type, became agitated and pushed an-other client. The staff responded by wrestling him to the floor and then placing him in seclusion.

The next day, the charge nurse called a meeting to discuss the incident. The most appropriate ap-proach for the charge nurse to use would be:
  1. Let's review what happened yesterday.
  2. How did this situation get so out of control?
  3. The client is very angry and might file a lawsuit. How can we protect ourselves?
  4. I wonder why you didn't try a less restrictive intervention with Mr. W yester-day.

Question 2

A client tells the nurse, I'm despairing. God lets me suffer with a mental illness that returns over and over again. I pray to get well and stay well, but God doesn't answer. The nurse should con-sider developing which nursing diagnosis?

1. Powerlessness
  2. Spiritual distress
  3. Decisional conflict
  4. Social isolation

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

allisonblackmore

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 1
To facilitate an open, honest review of the incident that will permit learning to take place, the charge nurse must not place the staff on the defensive. Option 1 is a neutral opening. The other options imply the nurse does not believe the situation was handled in an appropriate way.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 2
Data indicate that the client feels separated from God. There are few data to support the other options listed.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

Did you know?

More than 150,000 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease are younger than the age of 65 years.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

Did you know?

When intravenous medications are involved in adverse drug events, their harmful effects may occur more rapidly, and be more severe than errors with oral medications. This is due to the direct administration into the bloodstream.

Did you know?

All patients with hyperparathyroidism will develop osteoporosis. The parathyroid glands maintain blood calcium within the normal range. All patients with this disease will continue to lose calcium from their bones every day, and there is no way to prevent the development of osteoporosis as a result.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library