Author Question: While discussing assessment of suicidal clients, one nurse mentions, I was taught to always base my ... (Read 38 times)

drink

While discussing assessment of suicidal clients, one nurse mentions, I was taught to always base my care on concrete, evidence-based scientific reasoning and never to rely on intuition.

Which response by another nurse shows greater understanding of intuitive reasoning?
  1. That's wise, since intuition went out of favor with the scientific revolution.
  2. Critical thinking and intuition are at opposite poles. Keep relying on your exper-tise.
  3. It's possible that intuition about suicidality is generated by transfer of feelings from the client to the nurse.
  4. It's been determined that intuition is nothing more that extrasensory perception, so some folks have it, and some don't.

Question 2

A nurse is gathering assessment data for a client admitted from the ED. The wife of the client tells the nurse, I will give you all the information you need.

He does not tell the truth. It is best for the nurse to obtain her assessment information from the:
  1. ED chart
  2. Client
  3. Wife of the client
  4. Admitting physician

lorealeza

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 3
Intuition has appeared in clinical journals as a valid part of clinical reasoning. Fidaleo notes that it may be related to transfer of pain from the client to the nurse. Whiteside suggests that intuition is rapid critical thinking. Option 3 best reflects the possible usefulness of intuition to nurses.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 2
The nurse can obtain supplementary information from the wife (3), the chart (1), and other health care professionals (4), but the client (2) is the primary source of information.