Author Question: Which statement supports the fact that a patient diagnosed with chronic schizophrenia who is being ... (Read 10 times)

tfester

Which statement supports the fact that a patient diagnosed with chronic schizophrenia who is being prepared for placement in an adult family home understands the unique ex-pectations of such an arrangement?

a. I'll have a safe, clean place to live.
  b. I'm excited about having a bedroom of my own.
  c. I will help wash dishes and sweep floors but I like doing that.
  d. I can't wait to live my life like I want to and make my own decisions.

Question 2

Which intervention demonstrates the community mental health nurse's understanding of the potential risks that home visits present?

a. Calling ahead to make an appointment to visit
  b. Being sure to have access to a telephone during the actual visit
  c. Asking family members to describe the patient's recent behavior
  d. Taking a small gift to give to the patient's family during the visit

paavo

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Adult family homes (supportive housing programs) provide a quieter and more personal living arrangement for patients who need supervision. The patient becomes a part of the family structure and is expected to fit into the normal routines of the household performing routine tasks of daily living when appropriate. The patient may not have a private bedroom and will have only the independence they are capable of managing effectively and safely. Any place-ment is intended to ensure a clean, safe place to live.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
It is crucial that the nurse who is planning a home visit evaluate the potential risks of that vis-it before beginning the actual interventions. Risk evaluation always includes the patient's history, especially current emotional and behavioral status. Calling ahead to make an ap-pointment is standard procedure and is more directed towards respect than safety. Having access to a telephone is good practice but has little impact on minimizing risk. It is not rec-ommended to set the expectation that the family will receive a gift with each visit.