This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: While being bathed, a patient with AIDS asks the nurse, Aren't you afraid of getting this disease ... (Read 23 times)

segrsyd

While being bathed, a patient with AIDS asks the nurse, Aren't you afraid of getting this disease from me? Which response would be most therapeutic?

a. You sound surprised that I want to spend time with you.
  b. No; I always use universal precautions to manage the risk.
  c. Statistics show that few nurses get AIDS from their patients.
  d. I have always firmly believed that whatever will be, will be.

Question 2

Which factor should be the primary consideration when assessing the advisability of pre-scribing psychotropic medications for a patient with AIDS?

a. Nutritional status of the patient
  b. Tolerance for oral medications
  c. Characteristics of emotional distress
  d. Length of time since the diagnosis was made

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

LegendaryAnswers

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
This response reflects the patient's feelings and encourages communication. The other options do not respond to the patient's feelings.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The severity of symptoms present will determine the type and dosage of medication that should be prescribed (e.g., antidepressants would be used for symptoms of depression, anxi-olytics for acute anxiety, and psychotropics for symptoms of acute psychosis such as delu-sions or hallucinations). The other factors are not as relevant to the prescription of medica-tions.

segrsyd

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

LVPMS

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The effects of organophosphate poisoning are referred to by using the abbreviations “SLUD” or “SLUDGE,” It stands for: salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation, GI upset, and emesis.

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, more than 50 million Americans have some kind of food allergy. Food allergies affect between 4 and 6% of children, and 4% of adults, according to the CDC. The most common food allergies include shellfish, peanuts, walnuts, fish, eggs, milk, and soy.

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

Did you know?

The first documented use of surgical anesthesia in the United States was in Connecticut in 1844.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library