Author Question: Which statement made by a patient with AIDS indicates that the patient is exhibiting symptoms ... (Read 18 times)

yoooooman

Which statement made by a patient with AIDS indicates that the patient is exhibiting symptoms associated with acute psychotic-type dementia?

a. I move more slowly than I used to.
  b. I don't enjoy being with other people anymore.
  c. I'd like to stop the voices I hear in my head.
  d. I can't always remember where I put things.

Question 2

A patient with HIV infection asks the nurse, What do they mean by opportunistic infec-tions? The nurse's best response would be, They are:

a. Infections transmitted by sexual contact.
  b. Rare illnesses that occur only in homosexual men.
  c. Infectious diseases from tropical or subtropical countries.
  d. Infections that develop when the immune system is suppressed.

katheyjon

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Hallucinations, dementia, psychomotor agitation, and other psychotic behaviors are part of acute psychotic presentation of dementia associated with AIDS. The other options are more consistent with dementia chiefly characterized by mild depression.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Opportunistic infections occur when the immune system is suppressed. Under ordinary cir-cumstances with an active immune system, these infectious organisms would not cause ill-ness. Opportunistic infections are not sexually transmitted diseases. Both homosexual and heterosexual men, as well as women who are HIV-positive, may develop opportunistic infec-tions. Opportunistic infections are not limited to tropical diseases.