Author Question: An adult patient shares that, When my mother died when we were children, I never saw my father show ... (Read 30 times)

Alainaaa8

An adult patient shares that, When my mother died when we were children, I never saw my father show any emotion. What do you think will happen with those unexpressed feelings? Which response is most appropriate?

a. Pent-up emotions may lead to depression or other disorders.
  b. Your father probably has worked through his grief by this time.
  c. Maybe you can teach him how to best express his own feelings.
  d. If feelings are not effectively expressed, the person can become suicidal.

Question 2

A teen is grieving the loss of her pet dog. She states to her mother, I miss my dog so much, but I know that if I start crying, I will never stop. The teen is expressing a fear of:

a. Losing control over her emotions
  b. Appearing emotionally immature
  c. Embarrassing herself by crying in public
  d. Losing the support of her friends and family

dudman123

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Inhibited expression of grief can lead to depression. It cannot be assumed that the grieving process has been completed. The adult child should not be made to feel responsible for counseling the father. Unexpressed feelings do not necessarily lead to suicidality.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The teen's statement that she will never stop indicates a control concern. The statement does not indicate embarrassment, immaturity concerns, or lack of support.