Author Question: When reviewing the medications being taken by an elderly patient diagnosed with Alz-heimer's ... (Read 8 times)

anshika

When reviewing the medications being taken by an elderly patient diagnosed with Alz-heimer's disease, the nurse should consult with the patient's physician when noting a prescription for:

a. Risperidone (Risperdal)
  b. Fluphenazine (Prolixin)
  c. Lorazepam (Ativan)
  d. Sertraline (Zoloft)

Question 2

Which statement by a patient with generalized anxiety disorder for whom lorazepam (Ativan) is prescribed as needed (prn) suggests the patient understands the purpose of the medication?

a. I can talk with my therapist more easily after my medication takes effect.
  b. I wonder if I will have to take this medication for the rest of my entire life.
  c. I'm embarrassed and don't want anyone to know I'm on this kind of medica-tion.
  d. I'm going to ask for my prn dose so I can sleep instead of worrying about my kids.

Dominic

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Patients with dementia-related psychosis who were treated with atypical (second-generation) antipsychotics such as Risperdal were at an increased risk of death as compared with patient taking a placebo. The other medications are not currently known to have that risk.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The patient recognizes the therapeutic effects of the medication in assisting her to work ef-fectively with the therapist. The remaining options show questions and inappropriate use of the medication.