Author Question: A patient prescribed alprazolam (Xanax) for symptoms of anxiety shares with the nurse that, I'm ... (Read 27 times)

future617RT

A patient prescribed alprazolam (Xanax) for symptoms of anxiety shares with the nurse that, I'm concerned about getting off this medication. Upon which fact will the nurse base the response to the patient's concern?

a. Long elimination half-life will result in a manageable withdrawal treatment plan.
  b. Rapid absorption and distribution to brain cells make withdrawal more difficult to manage.
  c. Sensitivity of the mesencephalic reticular activating system makes addiction un-likely.
  d. The combination of medication with an antidepressant often positively impacts withdrawal.

Question 2

Which patient complaint should receive priority from a patient who is taking the MAOI tranylcypromine (Parnate)?

a. I haven't had a bowel movement in 2 days.
  b. Will you take my temperature? I feel too warm.
  c. I get a headache when I drank several cups of coffee.
  d. My legs get stiff when I sit in the chair for any length of time.

raenoj

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
In general, shorter-acting benzodiazepines are more difficult to taper and potentially cause more problems with withdrawal. The remaining options are neither true nor relevant.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Hypertensive crisis may occur if a patient taking a MAOI ingests certain food containing ty-ramine or drugs that cause blood pressure (BP) elevation. Headache is a warning sign of hy-pertensive crisis. The nurse should assess BP and inquire about other symptoms of hyperten-sive crisis. Stiffness is not related to MAOI therapy. Elevated temperature is not an initial sign of hypertensive crisis. Constipation is not a sign of hypertensive crisis.