This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which patient statement assures the nurse that the patient's immediate psychiatric emer-gency has ... (Read 25 times)

formula1

Which patient statement assures the nurse that the patient's immediate psychiatric emer-gency has been resolved?

a. Will I ever be able to go back to my family and job?
  b. I don't ever want to feel so out of control ever again.
  c. Will you please ask the doctor if I can have a pill for my nerves?
  d. I will let you know if I start feeling the need to hurt myself again.

Question 2

Which patient has the greatest risk for the development of a psychiatric emergency?

a. The schizophrenic older adult living on the streets
  b. The anorexic young adult hospitalized for treatment
  c. The orphaned teenager who lives with grandparents
  d. The teenager who has a problem with authority figures

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Shshxj

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The primary factor that distinguishes a psychiatric emergency from other types of crises and medical emergencies is the presence or threat of danger to the self or others. When the patient expresses the willingness to alert the staff when such feelings are occurring there is reason to believe the immediate emergency has past. The other options do not exhibit such a sense of willingness on the patient's part.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Populations at high risk for psychiatric emergencies include those with chronic mental pa-thologies, such as chronic schizophrenia, because their emotional stability can be easily dis-rupted. The other patients lack that element of emotional and cognitive fragility and have a responsible support system.

formula1

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

xoxo123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

More than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized. At the height of their popularity, about 50 were marketed for human use.

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

As many as 28% of hospitalized patients requiring mechanical ventilators to help them breathe (for more than 48 hours) will develop ventilator-associated pneumonia. Current therapy involves intravenous antibiotics, but new antibiotics that can be inhaled (and more directly treat the infection) are being developed.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library