Author Question: Which patient response demonstrates that the patient whose home was destroyed by a fire is coping ... (Read 22 times)

Which patient response demonstrates that the patient whose home was destroyed by a fire is coping with the disaster?

a. Agreeing to see a grief counselor
  b. Stating, At least no one was hurt in the fire.
  c. Addressing the details regarding the rebuilding of the house
  d. Stating, I knew things were going along too well to be true.

Question 2

Which patient statement is representative of those seen in Phase 2 of the crisis response regarding financial problems?

a. I can't get evicted and live on the street; I'd kill myself first.
  b. I need to get drunk and forget about money problems for a little while
  c. I need to figure out a way to get enough money to meet my rent this month.
  d. I've always been able to rely on my mother but she won't give it to me this time.

Zebsrer

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Coping does not imply mastery over the crisis; rather, it is the process that is used to respond to the crisis and find resolution. Working on rebuilding the home is an example of this pro-cess. The remaining option show varying degrees of attempting to justify or minimize the cri-sis.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Phase 2: Previous coping and problem-solving strategies fail to relieve the stressor. Phase 1: The individual is exposed to a stressor. Phase 3: Resources from within and outside of the individual are mobilized to resolve the problem and to alleviate the discomfort caused by the stressor. Note that people may drop out of situations in numerous ways, including self-medication with alcohol. Phase 4: The absence of crisis resolution leads to major disor-ganization such as self-injurious behavior.