This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient tells the nurse, I take herbal products like melatonin and valerian to help sleep. Which ... (Read 34 times)

panfilo

A patient tells the nurse, I take herbal products like melatonin and valerian to help sleep. Which response will the nurse make to the patient?

a. My aunt uses them, and they help her a lot.
  b. Studies show they are ineffective as sleep aids.
  c. They can cause serious side effects and should be avoided.
  d. Be aware that these products are uncontrolled, so preparations vary.

Question 2

An adult patient diagnosed with insomnia is prescribed the antihistamine, diphenhydra-mine. Which side effects does the nurse educate the patient about? Select all that apply

a. Urinary retention
  b. Blurred vision
  c. Rhinorrhea
  d. Dry mouth
  e. Diarrhea

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

swimkari

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Herbal products (e.g., melatonin, valerian) are not regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Ad-ministration, and preparation concentrations may vary. It is not appropriate to give advice based on personal anecdote. There has not been systematic evaluation of the products, so there is no proof to support statements regarding effectiveness or severity of side effects.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A, B, D
Such drugs as Sominex and Unisom contain diphenhydramine, which is an antihistamine that has both sedative and anticholinergic effects (e.g., dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation, nasal congestion, urinary retention) and prescribed for insomnia. Rhinorrhea and diarrhea are not side effects of the anticholinergics.

panfilo

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

lcapri7

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

In Eastern Europe and Russia, interferon is administered intranasally in varied doses for the common cold and influenza. It is claimed that this treatment can lower the risk of infection by as much as 60–70%.

Did you know?

Medication errors are three times higher among children and infants than with adults.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library