Author Question: Which statement made by a teenage male hospitalized after a failed suicide attempt is most ... (Read 138 times)

RODY.ELKHALIL

Which statement made by a teenage male hospitalized after a failed suicide attempt is most concerning to the nurse?

a. My uncle shot himself but he didn't die.
  b. I don't know why I get so depressed and want to die.
  c. The gun I got for my birthday is my most prized possession.
  d. I hope I don't ever get depressed enough to try and hurt myself again.

Question 2

Planning safety interventions for a teenager with a history of self-injurious behavior is based on what research-based information?

a. Teenagers rarely entertain the idea of suicide.
  b. Suicides can occur accidentally as a result of self-injurious behaviors.
  c. Self-injury is always viewed as a risk factor for future suicidal attempts.
  d. Assessment for suicidal ideations is a vital component of this child's care.

livaneabi

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Factors associated with suicidal behaviors include access to firearms providing the teenage patient with the opportunity and means to harm himself if he again becomes depressed. Alt-hough the remaining options represent possible risk factors, none provide insight into oppor-tunity and means.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Self-injurious behavior is not suicidal behavior and is not viewed as a risk factor for suicidal ideations or attempts, but some teenagers accidentally commit suicide in the process. Teen-agers are acting on suicidal thoughts at an alarming rate.