Author Question: A patient admitted for treatment of symptoms related to paranoid schizophrenia refuses to sign a ... (Read 25 times)

c0205847

A patient admitted for treatment of symptoms related to paranoid schizophrenia refuses to sign a consent form allowing the nurse to discuss any aspect of his hospitalization with his parents.

Which statement by the nurse best respects the patient's rights while providing effective care?
  a. Reminding the parents that, I can't discuss your son even though I want to.
  b. Asking the patient to, please talk with me about why you don't trust your par-ents?
  c. Telling the patient that, Keeping your parents uninvolved in your care is very painful for them.
  d. Telling the parents that, While I can't discuss his care with you, you can tell me anything you think I need to know.

Question 2

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) has been prescribed for a patient diagnosed with chronic depression. Which statement by the patient helps assure the nurse that the patient's right to informed consent has been respected?

a. ECT treatment will cure my depression.
  b. ECT is dangerous but I'm almost out of treatments.
  c. I may not remember things that happened just before the ECT treatment.
  d. I'm likely to permanently lose memory of things like dates and numbers.

Juro

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
This option provides the family the ability to communicate important medical or behavioral history to the treatment facility without the nurse releasing any information about the patient without that patient's permission. It is inappropriate for the nurse to express such personal feelings about the patient's wishes. Challenging the patient's decision in these manners does not fulfill the nurse's role as advocate.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
A potential side effect is memory loss that is usually temporary but that can rarely be irre-versible. It is not true that ECT either cures depression or that the treatment is considered physically dangerous.