This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient experiencing depression over the loss of a loved one shares that, I'm not a reli-gious ... (Read 12 times)

Jipu 123

A patient experiencing depression over the loss of a loved one shares that, I'm not a reli-gious person but I need something to help me cope with this.

The nurse shows an understanding to the need for an outlet for the expression of emo-tions when (select all that apply):
  a. Asking, Does dancing make you feel good?
  b. Encouraging the patient to talk about the feelings
  c. Offering to arrange for a consult with the music therapist
  d. Asking, Can you think of ways to express your emotions in a healthy way?
  e. Suggesting the patient draw a picture of what it feels like to experience such a loss

Question 2

An advanced practice nurse evaluates a patient for emergency commitment because of the likelihood the patient will do serious harm to others. Which statement best reflects the nurse's role as patient advocate during the assessment process?

a. Tell me about any delusions you are experiencing.
  b. I understand you have had some difficulty today.
  c. Tell me why you need to threaten or hurt others around you.
  d. Threatening to hurt others will require that you be committed to the hospital.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

sarahccccc

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, C, E
Religious practices are often beneficial for patients, but for those who do not have a formal religion, other spiritual interventions are useful. Group therapies that encourage patients to extend themselves and to find meaning in life are helpful. In addition, several other creative forms of expression such as art, music, and dance therapy often address patients' spiritual needs. Although the other options are not inappropriate, they do not provide interventions but rather reflect assessment questions.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The advocacy role of nurses to help patients to obtain, maintain, and fully make use of mental health benefits is critical. Assessment for commitment requires data collection from the pa-tient. This statement is the most neutral of the options given and the most open ended; therefore it will be most likely to elicit a response. It is an unfounded assumption that the pa-tient is delusional. Why questions will usually elicit rationalizations from the patient. Mak-ing a statement about the resulting hospitalization is not information gathering.

Jipu 123

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

kthug

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Nitroglycerin is used to alleviate various heart-related conditions, and it is also the chief component of dynamite (but mixed in a solid clay base to stabilize it).

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends that all women age 65 years of age or older should be screened with bone densitometry.

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library