This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An Asian-American patient is referred to the mental health clinic. He has many somatic complaints ... (Read 59 times)

rlane42

An Asian-American patient is referred to the mental health clinic. He has many somatic complaints for which no physical basis has been found.

The patient tells the nurse that he does not believe this clinic can help him. Based on knowledge of the beliefs common to this culture, what can the nurse hypothesize about the patient?
  a. Because of the cultural stigma attached to mental illness, he may be expressing psychological distress via somatic symptoms.
  b. Acculturation has occurred because feelings of hopelessness are alien to his native culture.
  c. Suicide is not a present danger because suicidal impulses are rarely associated with feelings of helplessness among Asian-American patients.
  d. The patient has rejected both family care and traditional healing methods in favor of health care practices of the new culture.

Question 2

The nurse identifies a patient as being in spiritual distress. Which patient statement sup-ports this nursing diagnosis?

a. I've never felt so alone before in my entire life.
  b. I don't know if I could get through this without faith in God.
  c. I've always relied on my faith in God but now I feel I've been abandoned.
  d. Why do bad things happen to good people? I've always been a good person.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jazzlynnnnn

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
The following facts are known about beliefs commonly held by members of this culture: there is a stigma attached to mental illness; mental illness is often described in somatic terms; members of this culture come into treatment late and often have feelings of hopelessness up-on entry into the system; families tend to care for their members with mental illness; and tra-ditional healing has usually been tried and failed before the patient attempts to access the mental health system.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Spiritual distress is a nursing diagnosis that is defined as a disruption in the value and belief systems that pervades the person's state of being and that transcends the physical and psy-chosocial self. Feeling abandoned when one has always relied on faith is an indication of spiritual distress. Feeling alone and questioning why something has occurred is not necessari-ly spirit based, and not an indication of spiritual distress. Questioning one's ability to manage an emotion without one's faith is a testimony to the faith, not an expression of despair.

rlane42

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

cpetit11

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

About 3% of all pregnant women will give birth to twins, which is an increase in rate of nearly 60% since the early 1980s.

Did you know?

Illicit drug use costs the United States approximately $181 billion every year.

Did you know?

Fewer than 10% of babies are born on their exact due dates, 50% are born within 1 week of the due date, and 90% are born within 2 weeks of the date.

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library