Author Question: A nurse is assisting in planning a series of group therapy sessions with several female clients ... (Read 25 times)

kaid0807

A nurse is assisting in planning a series of group therapy sessions with several female clients diagnosed with somatic symptom disorder. The nurse plans to focus the sessions on which of the following as a priority?

A) Causes of medical illnesses
  B) Positive self-talk
  C) Side effects of medications
  D) Assertiveness skills

Question 2

While caring for a client with anorexia nervosa, a nurse anticipates that the client would have difficulty making which of the following comments?

A) I'm mad at you because you won't let me go on a pass unless I gain weight
  B) I need to have everything in its place and perfect.
  C) If I gain a pound, I'll just keep gaining weight.
  D) I am very involved in preparing my food and counting calories.

Ahernandez18

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
Because most of the clients are women, participation in groups that address feminist issues should be encouraged to strengthen their assertiveness skills and improve their generally low self-esteem. Group sessions focusing on the causes of medical illnesses and on positive self-talk would be inappropriate. Medication therapy is not specifically recommended for people with this disorder unless they have comorbid disorders such as depression or anxiety.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A
Most clients with anorexia nervosa avoid conflict and have difficulty expressing negative emotions, such as anger. Perfectionism and a drive for thinness are key for a client with anorexia. The behavior of clients with anorexia becomes organized around food-related activities such as preparing food, counting calories, and reading cookbooks.