Author Question: A nurse is reviewing the assessment findings of several clients. Which patient would the nurse ... (Read 28 times)

audie

A nurse is reviewing the assessment findings of several clients. Which patient would the nurse identify as having a type D personality?

A) A man who threatens the receptionist in the emergency department with bodily harm if a doctor does not see him right away
  B) A woman who sits quietly reading in a waiting room before seeing her doctor for her annual physical
  C) A quiet teen who drinks a six pack of beer against his better judgment because of peer pressure
  D) A man who reacts negatively to almost everything but never discusses his feelings with anyone

Question 2

A client has come to the clinic to discuss the stress she is experiencing because of failing two exams at school. Initially, she described her failures as the worst thing that has ever happened to me, and she stated,

There is absolutely nothing I can do to pass this course now. Based on the client's responses to questions, the nurse finds out there are three more equally weighted exams scheduled for this course. The nurse and client collaborate and decide to use interventions to facilitate emotion-focused coping. Which additional comment from the client would the nurse identify as providing support for this decision?

A) You've got to figure out something for me to do to get me out of this situation
  B) This is a waste of time because absolutely nothing you or I can do will make it any better.
  C) I overreacted; surely together we can figure out something for me to do.
  D) This is the worst thing that could ever happen to me. I'm nothing but a failure.

kjo;oj

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
Persons with type D or distressed personalities experience increased negative emotions, but do not share their emotions. People with type A personalities are characterized as competitive, aggressive, ambitious, impatient, alert, tense, and restless. Persons with type B personalities do not exhibit these behaviors and generally are more relaxed, easygoing, and easily satisfied. They have an accepting attitude about trivial mistakes and use a problem-solving approach to major problems. People with type C personalities are described as having difficulty expressing emotion; being introverted, respectful, conforming, compliant, and eager to please; and avoiding conflict. They respond to stress with depression and hopelessness.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
In an assessment interview, a nurse can determine whether a person uses problem-focused or emotion-focused coping strategies effectively. Emotion-focused coping is effective when the person has inaccurately assessed the situation. Coping corrects the false interpretation. Deciding she overreacted indicates that the client is capable of more accurately assessing her situation and is able to begin viewing her predicament as a challenge, which will lessen the impact of the stress on her mental health. The statements about figuring out something, that this is a waste of time, and that this is the worst thing that could ever happen do not reflect emotion-focused coping.