Author Question: A client's 5-year-old poodle ran in front of a car and was killed. The client continues to be upset ... (Read 26 times)

asd123

A client's 5-year-old poodle ran in front of a car and was killed. The client continues to be upset by her pet's death, and she explains to a community counseling center nurse that she can't stop crying because,

My Precious meant the world to me, and now my world will never be the same If the nurse were to determine that the client was experiencing a crisis, which of the following types of crisis would it most likely be?

A) Maturational
  B) Situational
  C) Traumatic
  D) Developmental

Question 2

A man 62 years of age experienced the loss of his 87-year-old father a week ago. A hospice nurse is making a follow-up visit to determine how he is handling his father's death.

Which of the following statements made indicates to the hospice nurse that client is in the acute mourning stage of bereavement?

A) I keep thinking about my father; I have trouble believing he's dead. I feel guilty because I didn't go to the nursing home to visit him last week
  B) I've been grieving my father; losing him is a tremendous loss, but I have to get on with my life.
  C) My father was a saint. I am so angry at God for taking him away I'm crying all the time; I haven't been able to work for days.
  D) I'm going to spend the weekend with my children; they understand what I've been going through, and I can relax around them.

heyhey123

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
A situational crisis occurs whenever a specific stressful event threatens a person's biopsychosocial integrity and results in some degree of psychological disequilibrium. The pet's death caused the woman to experience a degree of psychological disequilibrium. A developmental or maturational crisis is one involving normal growth and development. A traumatic crisis is initiated by unexpected, unusual events that affect an individual or multitude of people.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
The fact that the client is crying all the time, feeling angry for much of the time, missing work, and idealizing his father are all indicators of the acute mourning stage of bereavement. This stage is characterized by intense feeling states, social withdrawal, and identification with the deceased person. The statement about having trouble believing he is dead suggests the shock stage. The statement about grieving his father but having to get on with his life suggests the beginning of the resolution stage, as does the statement about spending the weekend with his children to relax.