This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: After educating a group of students on the various concepts involving suicide, the instructor ... (Read 79 times)

EY67

After educating a group of students on the various concepts involving suicide, the instructor determines that the education was successful when the students describe parasuicide as which of the following?

A) Voluntary act of killing oneself
  B) All suicide-related behaviors and suicidal thoughts
  C) Nonfatal act with the intent to die
  D) Voluntary attempt without death as the aim

Question 2

A client who has been diagnosed with panic disorder visits the clinic and experiences a panic attack. The client tells the nurse, I'm so nervous. My hands are shaking, and I'm sweating. I feel as if I'm having a stroke right now.

What would be the priority intervention at this time?

A) Stay with the client while remaining calm.
  B) Move the client to a safe environment.
  C) Tell the client that the attack will soon pass.
  D) Teach the client deep breathing techniques to calm her.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

annierak

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
Parasuicide is a voluntary, apparent attempt at suicide, commonly called a suicidal gesture, in which the aim is not death. Suicide is the voluntary act of killing oneself. It is a fatal, self-inflicted destructive act with explicit or inferred intent to die. Suicidality is all suicide-related behaviors and thoughts of completing or attempting suicide and suicide ideation. A suicide attempt is a nonfatal, self-inflicted destructive act with explicit or implicit intent to die.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A
The first nursing intervention should be to stay with the client while remaining calm. A calm presence will help to relax the client. The nurse should use short sentences to provide clear directions and then assist the client to an environment with minimal stimuli. A client experiencing panic is unable to process information, so telling the client that the attack will soon pass would be ineffective. Educating the client on deep-breathing techniques would be appropriate later, after the panic subsides and the client is amenable to hearing and processing information.

EY67

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

Bigfoot1984

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

Did you know?

The average office desk has 400 times more bacteria on it than a toilet.

Did you know?

Egg cells are about the size of a grain of sand. They are formed inside of a female's ovaries before she is even born.

Did you know?

Cocaine was isolated in 1860 and first used as a local anesthetic in 1884. Its first clinical use was by Sigmund Freud to wean a patient from morphine addiction. The fictional character Sherlock Holmes was supposed to be addicted to cocaine by injection.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library