Author Question: A female psychiatric client is talking to a nurse about her reasons for being hospitalized. The ... (Read 16 times)

savannahhooper

A female psychiatric client is talking to a nurse about her reasons for being hospitalized. The client begins to discuss her relationship with her female significant other. She is describing the things in her relationship that are making her uncomfortable

and she asks the nurse, Should I break up with my partner? Which response by the nurse would be most effective in building rapport between the client and nurse?

A) Of course you should; being a lesbian is just not natural.
  B) Yes, I think you should pursue building a relationship with a man.
  C) It sounds like you're beginning to be uncomfortable in this relationship.
  D) You need to focus on yourself rather than the relationship right now.

Question 2

A client who is hospitalized with depression tells a nurse, I don't want to take the medication because I'm afraid I'll become suicidal. Which response by the nurse would be most appropriate?

A) Have you ever thought about hurting yourself?
  B) It's important that you take this medication.
  C) I agree with you. I wouldn't want to take this medication either.
  D) Another client took that medication, and he really felt better.

Rilsmarie951

Answer to Question 1

Ans: C
Nurses establish rapport through interpersonal warmth, a nonjudgmental attitude, and a demonstration of understanding. The response about the relationship becoming uncomfortable reflects both a nonjudgmental attitude and understanding. Telling the client that being a lesbian is unnatural, or that she should pursue a relationship with a man, reflects the nurse's beliefs, gives advice, and is judgmental. Telling the client she needs to focus on herself ignores the client's concern.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A
The nurse's best response is, Have you ever thought about hurting yourself? This response seeks to clarify the client's statement about hurting himself and opens the door to allow a therapeutic discussion, since clients with depression may have suicidal thoughts. Telling the client to take the medication, agreeing with the client, or giving advice will block therapeutic communication.