Author Question: A nurse is caring for a client who is hospitalized for a mental disorder. The nurse is legally ... (Read 31 times)

amal

A nurse is caring for a client who is hospitalized for a mental disorder. The nurse is legally obligated to breach the client's confidentiality if the client states which of the following?

A) I think that the federal government is spying on me.
  B) I get really 'turned on' by your appearance.
  C) That doctor I had today really made me angry.
  D) When I get out of here, I'm going to kill my neighbor.

Question 2

Which client would a nurse determine to be the most likely candidate for involuntary commitment? The client who:

A) Refuses to take the prescribed medication
  B) Is screaming in the street disturbing neighbors
  C) Refuses to participate in the planned therapy
  D) Is homeless and has been diagnosed with a mental disorder

macybarnes

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
When there is a judgment that a client has harmed someone or is about to injure someone, a nurse is mandated to breach confidentiality and report this to the authorities. The statement about killing the neighbor is an example. Thinking that the federal government is spying on the person reflects paranoid thinking. The statement about being turned on reflects manipulative behavior. The statement about feeling angry about the doctor provides information about the client's feelings. The nurse would be mandated to report this statement only if the client went on to say that he or she was planning to hurt the doctor.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B
A client who is screaming in the street is more likely to be judged as a danger to himself or to others. Clients have a right to refuse medications or to not participate in therapy in many states and provinces. Being homeless or refusing medication or therapy does not pose an immediate danger to oneself or others.