This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse's neighbor says, My sister has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder but will not take her ... (Read 33 times)

tfester

A nurse's neighbor says, My sister has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder but will not take her medication. I have tried to help her for over 20 years, but it seems like everything I do fails. Do you have any suggestions?

Select the nurse's best response.

a. The National Alliance on Mental Illness offers a family education series that you might find helpful.
  b. Since your sister is noncompliant, perhaps it's time for her to be changed to injectable medication.
  c. You have done all you can. Now it's time to put yourself first and move on with your life.
  d. You cannot help her. Would it be better for you to discontinue your relationship?

Question 2

A patient diagnosed with a serious mental illness died suddenly at age 52. The patient lived in the community for 5 years without relapse and held supported employment the past 6 months. The distressed family asks, How could this happen?

Which response by the nurse accurately reflects research and addresses the family's question?

a. A certain number of people die young from undetected diseases, and it's just one of those sad things that sometimes happen.
  b. Mentally ill people tend to die much younger than others, perhaps because they do not take as good care of their health, smoke more, or are overweight.
  c. We will have to wait for the autopsy to know what happened. There were some medical problems, but we were not expecting death.
  d. We are all surprised. The patient had been doing so well and saw the nurse every other week.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Brenm

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) offers a family education series that assists with the stress caregivers and other family members often experience. The nurse should not give advice about injectable medication or encourage the family member to give up on the patient.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The family is in distress. Because they do not understand his death, they are less able to accept it and seek specific information to help them understand what happened. Persons with serious mental illness die an average of 25 years prematurely. Contributing factors include failing to provide for their own health needs (e.g. forgetting to take medicine), inability to access or pay for care, higher rates of smoking, poor diet, criminal victimization, and stigma. The most accurate answer indicates that seriously mentally ill people are at much higher risk of premature death for a variety of reasons. Staff would not have been surprised that the patient died prematurely, and they would not attribute his death to random, undetected medical problems. Although the cause of death will not be reliably established until the autopsy, this response fails to address the family's need for information.

tfester

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

olderstudent

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

On average, the stomach produces 2 L of hydrochloric acid per day.

Did you know?

Although the Roman numeral for the number 4 has always been taught to have been "IV," according to historians, the ancient Romans probably used "IIII" most of the time. This is partially backed up by the fact that early grandfather clocks displayed IIII for the number 4 instead of IV. Early clockmakers apparently thought that the IIII balanced out the VIII (used for the number 8) on the clock face and that it just looked better.

Did you know?

Children with strabismus (crossed eyes) can be treated. They are not able to outgrow this condition on their own, but with help, it can be more easily corrected at a younger age. It is important for infants to have eye examinations as early as possible in their development and then another at age 2 years.

Did you know?

In the ancient and medieval periods, dysentery killed about ? of all babies before they reach 12 months of age. The disease was transferred through contaminated drinking water, because there was no way to adequately dispose of sewage, which contaminated the water.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library