This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An outpatient diagnosed with schizophrenia attends programming at a community mental health center. ... (Read 33 times)

JMatthes

An outpatient diagnosed with schizophrenia attends programming at a community mental health center. The patient says, I threw away the pills because they keep me from hearing God. Which response by the nurse would most likely to benefit this patient?

a. You need your medicine. Your schizophrenia will get worse without it.
  b. Do you want to be hospitalized again? You must take your medication.
  c. I would like you to come to the medication education group every Thursday.
  d. I noticed that when you take the medicine, you have been able to hold a job you wanted.

Question 2

An adult diagnosed with a serious mental illness says, I do not need help with money management. I have excellent ideas about investments. This patient usually does not have money to buy groceries by the middle of the month.

The nurse assesses the patient as demonstrating:

a. rationalization.
  b. identification.
  c. anosognosia.
  d. projection.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Christopher

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The patient appears not to understand that he has an illness. He has stopped his medication because it interferes with a symptom that he finds desirable (auditory hallucinationsthe voice of God). Connecting medication adherence to one of the patient's goals (the job) can serve to motivate the patient to take the medication and override concerns about losing the hallucinations. Exhorting a patient to take medication because it is needed to control his illness is unlikely to be successful; he does not believe he has an illness. Medication psychoeducation would be appropriate if the cause of nonadherence was a knowledge deficit.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The patient scenario describes anosognosia, the inability to recognize one's deficits due to one's illness. The patient is not projecting an undesirable thought or emotion from himself onto others. He is not justifying his behavior via rationalization and is not identifying with another.

JMatthes

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

EAN94

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Medication errors are more common among seriously ill patients than with those with minor conditions.

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library