This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A rape victim says to the nurse, I always try to be so careful. I know I should not have walked to ... (Read 25 times)

jake

A rape victim says to the nurse, I always try to be so careful. I know I should not have walked to my car alone. Was this attack my fault? Which communication by the nurse is most therapeutic?

a. Support the victim to separate issues of vulnerability from blame.
  b. Emphasize the importance of using a buddy system in public places.
  c. Reassure the victim that the outcome of the situation will be positive.
  d. Pose questions about the rape and help the patient explore why it happened.

Question 2

The nursing diagnosis Rape-trauma syndrome applies to a rape victim in the emergency department. Select the most appropriate outcome to achieve before discharging the patient.

a. The memory of the rape will be less vivid and less frightening.
  b. The patient is able to describe feelings of safety and relaxation.
  c. Symptoms of pain, discomfort, and anxiety are no longer present.
  d. The patient agrees to a follow-up appointment with a rape victim advocate.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kusterl

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Although the victim may have made choices that made her vulnerable, she is not to blame for the rape. Correcting this distortion in thinking allows the victim to begin to restore a sense of control. This is a positive response to victimization. The distracters do not permit the victim to begin to restore a sense of control or offer use of non-therapeutic communication techniques. In this interaction, the victim needs to talk about feelings rather than prevention.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Agreeing to keep a follow-up appointment is a realistic short-term outcome. The victim is in the acute phase; the distracters are unlikely to be achieved during the limited time the victim is in an emergency department.

jake

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

bassamabas

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Though newer “smart” infusion pumps are increasingly becoming more sophisticated, they cannot prevent all programming and administration errors. Health care professionals that use smart infusion pumps must still practice the rights of medication administration and have other professionals double-check all high-risk infusions.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

The largest baby ever born weighed more than 23 pounds but died just 11 hours after his birth in 1879. The largest surviving baby was born in October 2009 in Sumatra, Indonesia, and weighed an astounding 19.2 pounds at birth.

Did you know?

To combat osteoporosis, changes in lifestyle and diet are recommended. At-risk patients should include 1,200 to 1,500 mg of calcium daily either via dietary means or with supplements.

Did you know?

Most women experience menopause in their 50s. However, in 1994, an Italian woman gave birth to a baby boy when she was 61 years old.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library