Author Question: Which is the best comment for a nurse to use when beginning an interview with an older adult ... (Read 20 times)

Haya94

Which is the best comment for a nurse to use when beginning an interview with an older adult patient?

a. Hello, call patient by first name. I am going to ask you some questions to get to know you better.
  b. Hello. My name is nurse's name. I am a nurse. Please tell me how you would like to be addressed by the staff.
  c. I am going to ask you some questions about yourself. I would like to call you by your first name if you don't mind.
  d. You look as though you are comfortable and ready to participate in an admission interview. Shall we get started?

Question 2

A community mental health nurse plans an educational program for the staff members of a home health agency that specializes in the care of older adults. A topic of high priority should be:

a. identifying clinical depression in older adults.
  b. providing cost-effective foot care for older adults.
  c. identifying nutritional deficiencies in older adults.
  d. psychosocial stimulation for those who live alone.

Jody Vaughn

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
This opening identifies the nurse's role and politely seeks direction for addressing the patient in a way that will make him or her comfortable. This is particularly important when a considerable age difference exists between the nurse and the patient. The nurse should address patients by name, but should not assume a patient wants to be called by his or her first name. The nurse should always introduce him- or herself.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The topic of greatest immediacy is the identification of clinical depression in older adults. Home health staff members are better versed in the physical aspects of care and less knowledgeable about mental health topics. Statistics show that older adult patients with mental health problems are less likely than young adults to be diagnosed accurately. This is especially true for those with depression and anxiety, both of which are likely to be misinterpreted as normal aging. Undiagnosed and untreated depression and anxiety result in unnecessary suffering. The other options are of lesser importance.