This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse cares for a patient with paraphilia. The nurse expects the health care provider may ... (Read 26 times)

shenderson6

A nurse cares for a patient with paraphilia. The nurse expects the health care provider may prescribe which type of medication to reduce paraphilic behaviors?

a. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)
  b. Erectile dysfunction medication
  c. Atypical antipsychotic medication
  d. Mood stabilizer

Question 2

An adult man tells the nurse, All my life, I have felt and acted like a woman while living in the body of a man. For the past year, I have lived and dressed as a woman. I'm changing jobs to protect my new identity.

Which request is the patient likely to make to the health care provider?
  a. Can you refer me for psychological testing?
  b. Will you prescribe estrogen therapy?
  c. Will you alter my medical records?
  d. What should I tell my parents?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mmpiza

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
SSRIs are reported to have a positive effect on paraphilia. The other medications are not indicated for this disorder.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Before sexual reassignment surgery, the step that follows living as a member of the other sex is hormone therapy. The patient's decision to live as a woman makes this a natural request. Psychological testing occurs before sexual reassignment surgery, often after hormone therapy has begun. The patient has likely told his parents by this point.

shenderson6

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

vickybb89

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Addicts to opiates often avoid treatment because they are afraid of withdrawal. Though unpleasant, with proper management, withdrawal is rarely fatal and passes relatively quickly.

Did you know?

The types of cancer that alpha interferons are used to treat include hairy cell leukemia, melanoma, follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library