This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse manager notices that a staff member spends minimal time with a patient who is terminally ill ... (Read 60 times)

Yi-Chen

A nurse manager notices that a staff member spends minimal time with a patient who is terminally ill with AIDS. The patient says, I'm having intense emotional reactions to this illness. Sometimes I feel angry, but other times I feel afraid or abandoned.

The nurse manager can correctly hypothesize that the most likely reason for the staff member's avoidance is:

a. high risk for infection transmission.
  b. feelings of inadequacy in dealing with complex emotional needs.
  c. knowledge that the patient needs time alone with family and friends.
  d. belief that the patient's former lifestyle included high-risk behaviors.

Question 2

As death approaches, a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) says, I don't want to see a lot of visitors anymore. Just my parents and my sibling can come in for a while each day. What action should the nurse take?

a. Ask the patient to reconsider the decision because many interested and caring friends can be sources of support.
  b. Discuss the request with the parents and sibling. Suggest that they explain the patient's decision to friends.
  c. Suggest that the patient discuss these wishes with the health care provider.
  d. Place a no visitors sign on the patient's door.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ilianabrrr

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Many nurses tend to be more comfortable with meeting physical needs than in focusing on emotional needs. Standard precautions are necessary for all patients. The patient's lifestyle is irrelevant.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
As many patients approach death, they begin to withdraw. In the stage of acceptance, many patients are exhausted and tired, and interactions of a social nature are a burden. Many prefer to have someone present at the bedside who will sit without constantly talking.

Yi-Chen

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

triiciiaa

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

Did you know?

Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products. It is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

Did you know?

Fatal fungal infections may be able to resist newer antifungal drugs. Globally, fungal infections are often fatal due to the lack of access to multiple antifungals, which may be required to be utilized in combination. Single antifungals may not be enough to stop a fungal infection from causing the death of a patient.

Did you know?

Asthma cases in Americans are about 75% higher today than they were in 1980.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library