This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with metastatic brain cancer says, I'm dying, but I'm still living. I want to be in ... (Read 21 times)

Hungry!

A patient with metastatic brain cancer says, I'm dying, but I'm still living. I want to be in control as long as I can. Which reply shows the nurse was actively listening?

a. Our staff will do their best to help you feel comfortable.
  b. Most people do not know how to help and are afraid of death.
  c. Your mind and spirit are healthy, although your body is frail.
  d. You want people to stop focusing on your weaknesses.

Question 2

A nurse talks with a person whose spouse died while jogging. Which is the appropriate statement for the nurse?

a. At least your spouse did not suffer.
  b. It's better to go quickly as your spouse did.
  c. The loss of your spouse must be very painful for you.
  d. You'll begin to feel better after you get over the shock.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

BAOCHAU2803

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The patient is asking for acknowledgment that he or she is not totally sick; even in the terminal state, strengths and capabilities are present. The correct response provides that acknowledgment. The other responses are tangential.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The most helpful responses by others validate the bereaved person's experience of loss. Avoid banalities; they increase the individual's sense of isolation.

Hungry!

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

apple

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Patients who have undergone chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer often complain of a lack of mental focus; memory loss; and a general diminution in abilities such as multitasking, attention span, and general mental agility.

Did you know?

In most climates, 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is recommended for adults. The best indicator for adequate fluid intake is frequent, clear urination.

Did you know?

Dogs have been used in studies to detect various cancers in human subjects. They have been trained to sniff breath samples from humans that were collected by having them breathe into special tubes. These people included 55 lung cancer patients, 31 breast cancer patients, and 83 cancer-free patients. The dogs detected 54 of the 55 lung cancer patients as having cancer, detected 28 of the 31 breast cancer patients, and gave only three false-positive results (detecting cancer in people who didn't have it).

Did you know?

About 100 new prescription or over-the-counter drugs come into the U.S. market every year.

Did you know?

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or MRSA was discovered in 1961 in the United Kingdom. It if often referred to as a superbug. MRSA infections cause more deaths in the United States every year than AIDS.

Methicilli ...

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library