Author Question: A married individual has recently been absent from work for 3-day periods on several occasions. Each ... (Read 27 times)

JGIBBSON

A married individual has recently been absent from work for 3-day periods on several occasions. Each time, the individual returns to work wearing dark glasses. Facial and body bruises are apparent.

What is the occupational health nurse's priority question?

a. Do you drink excessively?
  b. Did your partner beat you?
  c. How did this happen to you?
  d. What did you do to deserve this?

Question 2

An 11-year-old child says, My parents don't like me. They call me stupid and say I never do anything right, but it doesn't matter. I'm too dumb to learn. Which nursing diagnosis applies to this child?

a. Chronic low self-esteem, related to negative feedback from parents
  b. Deficient knowledge, related to interpersonal skills with parents
  c. Disturbed personal identity, related to negative self-evaluation
  d. Complicated grieving, related to poor academic performance

Ashley I

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Obtaining the victim's explanation is necessary. If the explanation does not match the injuries or if the victim minimizes the injuries, abuse should be suspected.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The child has indicated a belief in being too dumb to learn. The child receives frequent negative and demeaning feedback from the parents. Deficient knowledge is a nursing diagnosis that refers to knowledge of health care measures. Disturbed personal identity refers to an alteration in the ability to distinguish between self and nonself. Grieving may apply, but a specific loss is not evident in this scenario. Low self-esteem is more relevant to the child's statements.