This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia says, My co-workers are out to get me. I also saw ... (Read 14 times)

dejastew

A patient diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia says, My co-workers are out to get me. I also saw two doctors plotting to kill me. How does this patient perceive the environment?

a. Disorganized
  b. Dangerous
  c. Supportive
  d. Bizarre

Question 2

A nurse works with a patient with paranoid schizophrenia regarding the importance of medication management. The patient repeatedly says, I don't like taking pills. Family members say they feel helpless to foster compliance.

Which treatment strategy should the nurse discuss with the health care provider?

a. Use of a long-acting antipsychotic preparation
  b. Addition of a benzodiazepine, such as lorazepam (Ativan)
  c. Adjunctive use of an antidepressant, such as amitriptyline (Elavil)
  d. Prolonged hospitalization; this patient is not ready for discharge

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

debra928

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The patient sees the world as hostile and dangerous. This assessment is important because the nurse can be more effective by using empathy to respond to the patient. Data are not present to support any of the other options.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Medications such as fluphenazine decanoate and haloperidol decanoate are long-acting forms of antipsychotic medications. They are administered by depot injection every 2 to 4 weeks, thus reducing daily opportunities for noncompliance. The other options do not address the patient's dislike of taking pills.

dejastew

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

alexanderhamilton

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

Did you know?

Human stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve small pieces of metal such as razor blades or staples.

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

Persons who overdose with cardiac glycosides have a better chance of overall survival if they can survive the first 24 hours after the overdose.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library