This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A priority intervention for a patient with major depression is: a. distracting the patient from ... (Read 26 times)

Beheh

A priority intervention for a patient with major depression is:

a. distracting the patient from self-absorption.
  b. carefully and unobtrusively observing the patient around the clock.
  c. allowing the patient to spend long periods alone in meditation.
  d. offering opportunities for the patient to assume a leadership role in the therapeutic milieu.

Question 2

A patient with major depression says, No one cares about me anymore. I'm not worth anything. The nurse wants to reinforce positive self-esteem. Today, the patient is wearing a new shirt and has neat, clean hair. Which remark is most appropriate?

a. You look nice this morning.
  b. You're wearing a new shirt.
  c. I like the shirt you're wearing.
  d. You must be feeling better today.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

cassie_ragen

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Approximately two thirds of people with depression contemplate suicide. Patients with depression who exhibit feelings of worthlessness are at higher risk. Regularly planned observations of the patient with depression may prevent a suicide attempt on the unit.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Patients with depression usually see the negative side of things. The meaning of compliments may be altered to I didn't look nice yesterday or They didn't like my other shirt. Neutral comments such as an observation avoid negative interpretations. Saying You look nice or I like your shirt gives approval (nontherapeutic techniques). Saying You must be feeling better today is an assumption, which is nontherapeutic.

Beheh

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

parker125

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

Did you know?

Walt Disney helped combat malaria by making an animated film in 1943 called The Winged Scourge. This short film starred the seven dwarfs and taught children that mosquitos transmit malaria, which is a very bad disease. It advocated the killing of mosquitos to stop the disease.

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library