Author Question: A nurse assesses a patient diagnosed with functional neurological (conversion) disorder. Which ... (Read 40 times)

Hungry!

A nurse assesses a patient diagnosed with functional neurological (conversion) disorder. Which comment is most likely from this patient?

a. Since my father died, I've been short of breath and had sharp pains that go down my left arm, but I think it's just indigestion.
  b. I have daily problems with nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. My skin is very dry and I think I'm getting seriously dehydrated.
  c. Sexual intercourse is painful. I pretend as if I'm asleep so I can avoid it. I think it's starting to cause problems with my marriage.
  d. I get choked very easily and have trouble swallowing when I eat. I think I might have cancer of the esophagus.

Question 2

the correct etiology to complete this nursing diagnosis for a patient with dissociative identity disorder. Disturbed personal identity, related to:

a. obsessive fears of harming self or others.
  b. poor impulse control and lack of self-confidence.
  c. depressed mood secondary to nightmares and intrusive thoughts.
  d. cognitive distortions associated with unresolved childhood abuse issues.

ansleighelindsey

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Patients with functional neurologic (conversion) disorder demonstrate a lack of concern regarding the seriousness of symptoms. This lack of concern is termed la belle indiffrence. In addition, a specific cause for the development of the symptoms is identifiable; in this instance, the death of a parent precipitates the stress.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Nearly all patients with dissociative identity disorder have a history of childhood abuse or trauma. None of the other etiology statements is relevant.