Author Question: A nurse assesses a confused older adult. The nurse experiences sadness and reflects, The patient is ... (Read 25 times)

brutforce

A nurse assesses a confused older adult. The nurse experiences sadness and reflects, The patient is like one of my grandparentsso helpless. What feelings does the nurse describe?

a. Transference
  b. Countertransference
  c. Catastrophic reaction
  d. Defensive coping reaction

Question 2

A patient cries as the nurse explores the patient's relationship with a deceased parent. The patient says, I shouldn't be crying like this. It happened a long time ago. Which responses by the nurse will facilitate communication? Select all that apply.

a. Why do you think you are so upset?
  b. I can see that you feel sad about this situation.
  c. The loss of your parent is very painful for you.
  d. Crying is a way of expressing the hurt you're experiencing.
  e. Let's talk about something else because this subject is upsetting you.

diesoon

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Countertransference is the nurse's transference or response to a patient that is based on the nurse's unconscious needs, conflicts, problems, or view of the world.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B, C, D
Reflecting (I can see that you feel sad or This is very painful for you) and giving information (Crying is a way of expressing hurt) are therapeutic techniques. Why questions often imply criticism or seem intrusive or judgmental, and they are difficult to answer. Changing the subject is a barrier to communication.