This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient asks a nurse, What are neurotransmitters? My doctor says mine are out of balance. The best ... (Read 14 times)

RYAN BANYAN

A patient asks a nurse, What are neurotransmitters? My doctor says mine are out of balance. The best reply would be:

a. You must feel relieved to know that your problem has a physical basis.
  b. Neurotransmitters are chemicals that pass messages between brain cells.
  c. It is a high-level concept to explain. You should ask the doctor to tell you more.
  d. Neurotransmitters are substances we eat daily that influence memory and mood.

Question 2

A person received an invitation to be in the wedding of a friend who lives across the country. The individual is afraid of flying. What type of therapy should the nurse recommend?

a. Psychoanalysis
  b. Milieu therapy
  c. Systematic desensitization
  d. Short-term dynamic therapy

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

durant1234

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Stating that neurotransmitters are chemicals that pass messages between brain cells gives the most accurate information. Neurotransmitters are messengers in the central nervous system. They are released from the axon terminal, diffuse across the synapse, and attach to specialized receptors on the postsynaptic neuron. The incorrect responses do not answer the patient's question, are demeaning, and provide untrue and misleading information.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Systematic desensitization is a type of therapy aimed at extinguishing a specific behavior, such as the fear of flying. Psychoanalysis and short-term dynamic therapy are aimed at uncovering conflicts. Milieu therapy involves environmental factors.

RYAN BANYAN

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

adammoses97

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

Did you know?

Every 10 seconds, a person in the United States goes to the emergency room complaining of head pain. About 1.2 million visits are for acute migraine attacks.

Did you know?

There can actually be a 25-hour time difference between certain locations in the world. The International Date Line passes between the islands of Samoa and American Samoa. It is not a straight line, but "zig-zags" around various island chains. Therefore, Samoa and nearby islands have one date, while American Samoa and nearby islands are one day behind. Daylight saving time is used in some islands, but not in others—further shifting the hours out of sync with natural time.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

Atropine, along with scopolamine and hyoscyamine, is found in the Datura stramonium plant, which gives hallucinogenic effects and is also known as locoweed.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library