Author Question: A nurse uses Peplau's interpersonal therapy while working with an anxious, withdrawn patient. ... (Read 74 times)

Yolanda

A nurse uses Peplau's interpersonal therapy while working with an anxious, withdrawn patient. Interventions should focus on:

a. changing the patient's perceptions about self
  b. improving the patient's interactional skills
  c. using medications to relieve anxiety
  d. reinforcing specific behaviors

Question 2

Cognitive therapy was provided for a patient who frequently said, I'm stupid. Which statement by the patient indicates the therapy was effective?

a. I'm disappointed in my lack of ability.
  b. I always fail when I try new things.
  c. Things always go wrong for me.
  d. Sometimes I do stupid things.

elizabethrperez

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The nurse-patient relationship is structured to provide a model for adaptive interpersonal relationships that can be generalized to others. Changing the patient's perceptions about his- or herself would be appropriate for cognitive therapy. Reinforcing specific behaviors would be used in behavioral therapy. Using medications would be the focus of biological therapy.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
I'm stupid is an irrational thought. A more rational thought is, Sometimes I do stupid things. The latter thinking promotes emotional self-control. The incorrect options reflect irrational thinking.