Author Question: A survivor of physical spousal abuse was treated in the emergency department for a broken wrist. ... (Read 28 times)

Mr3Hunna

A survivor of physical spousal abuse was treated in the emergency department for a broken wrist. This patient said, I've considered leaving, but I made a vow and I must keep it no matter what happens. Which outcome should be met before discharge?

The patient will:

a. facilitate counseling for the abuser.
  b. name two community resources for help.
  c. demonstrate insight into the abusive relationship.
  d. reexamine cultural beliefs about marital commitment.

Question 2

An adult tells the nurse, My partner abuses me when I make mistakes, but I always get an apology and a gift afterward. I've considered leaving but haven't been able to bring myself to actually do it.

Which phase in the cycle of violence prevents this adult from leaving?

a. Tension-building
  b. Acute battering
  c. Honeymoon
  d. Stabilization

laurnthompson

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The only outcome indicator clearly attainable within this time is for staff to provide the victim with information about community resources that can be contacted. Development of insight into the abusive relationship and reexamining cultural beliefs will require time. Securing a restraining order can be accomplished quickly but not while the patient is in the emergency department. Facilitating the abuser's counseling may require weeks or months.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The honeymoon stage is characterized by kind, loving behaviors toward the abused spouse when the perpetrator feels remorseful. The victim believes the promises and drops plans to leave or seek legal help. The tension-building stage is characterized by minor violence in the form of abusive verbalization or pushing. The acute battering stage involves the abuser beating the victim. The violence cycle does not include a stabilization stage.