Author Question: A patient was arrested for breaking windows in the home of a former domestic partner. The patient's ... (Read 34 times)

Davideckstein7

A patient was arrested for breaking windows in the home of a former domestic partner. The patient's history also reveals childhood abuse by a punitive parent, torturing family pets, and an arrest for disorderly conduct.

Which nursing diagnosis has priority?

a. Risk for injury
  b. Ineffective coping
  c. Impaired social interaction
  d. Risk for other-directed violence

Question 2

Which behavior best demonstrates aggression?

a. Stomping away from the nurses' station, going to the hallway, and grabbing a tray from the meal cart.
  b. Bursting into tears, leaving the community meeting, and sitting on a bed hugging a pillow and sobbing.
  c. Telling the primary nurse, I felt angry when you said I could not have a second helping at lunch.
  d. Telling the medication nurse, I am not going to take that, or any other, medication you try to give me.

Danny Ewald

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Defining characteristics for risk for other-directed violence include a history of being abused as a child, having committed other violent acts, and demonstrating poor impulse control. There is no indicator that the patient will experience injury. Ineffective coping and impaired social interaction have lower priorities.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Aggression is harsh physical or verbal action that reflects rage, hostility, and potential for physical or verbal destructiveness. Aggressive behavior violates the rights of others. Refusing medication is a patient's right and may be appropriate. The other incorrect options do not feature violation of another's rights.