Author Question: Which statement by a depressed patient will alert the nurse to the patient's need for immediate, ... (Read 25 times)

Which statement by a depressed patient will alert the nurse to the patient's need for immediate, active intervention?

a. I am mixed up, but I know I need help.
  b. I have no one to turn to for help or support.
  c. It is worse when you are a person of color.
  d. I tried to get attention before I cut myself last time.

Question 2

A patient hospitalized for 2 weeks committed suicide during the night. Which initial nursing measure will be most important regarding this event?

a. Ask the information technology manager to verify the hospital information system is secure.
  b. Hold a staff meeting to express feelings and plan care for the other patients.
  c. Ask the patient's roommate not to discuss the event with other patients.
  d. Prepare a report of a sentinel event.

bbburns21

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Hopelessness is evident. Lack of social support and social isolation increases the suicide risk. Willingness to seek help lowers risk. Being a person of color does not suggest higher risk because more whites commit suicide than do individuals of other racial groups. Attention seeking is not correlated with higher suicide risk.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Interventions should help the staff and patients come to terms with the loss and grow because of the incident. Then, a community meeting should occur to allow other patients to express their feelings and request help. Staff should be prepared to provide additional support and reassurance to patients and should seek opportunities for peer support. A sentinel event report can be prepared later. The other incorrect options will not control information or would result in unsafe care.