This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: As a nurse prepares to administer medication to a patient diagnosed with a borderline personality ... (Read 27 times)

tnt_battle

As a nurse prepares to administer medication to a patient diagnosed with a borderline personality disorder, the patient says, Just leave it on the table. I'll take it when I finish combing my hair. What is the nurse's best response?

a. Reinforce this assertive action by the patient. Leave the medication on the table as requested.
  b. Respond to the patient, I'm worried that you might not take it. I'll come back later.
  c. Say to the patient, I must watch you take the medication. Please take it now.
  d. Ask the patient, Why don't you want to take your medication now?

Question 2

What is an appropriate initial outcome for a patient diagnosed with a personality disorder who frequently manipulates others? The patient will:

a. identify when feeling angry.
  b. use manipulation only to get legitimate needs met.
  c. acknowledge manipulative behavior when it is called to his or her attention.
  d. accept fulfillment of his or her requests within an hour rather than immediately.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Jevvish

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The individual with a borderline personality disorder characteristically demonstrates manipulative, splitting, and self-destructive behaviors. Consistent limit setting is vital for the patient's safety, but also to prevent splitting other staff. Why questions are not therapeutic. See relationship to audience response question.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
This is an early outcome that paves the way for later taking greater responsibility for controlling manipulative behavior. Identifying anger relates to anger and aggression control. Using manipulation to get legitimate needs is an inappropriate outcome. The patient would ideally use assertive behavior to promote need fulfillment. Accepting fulfillment of requests within an hour rather than immediately relates to impulsivity control.

tnt_battle

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

amynguyen1221

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

Did you know?

A good example of polar molecules can be understood when trying to make a cake. If water and oil are required, they will not mix together. If you put them into a measuring cup, the oil will rise to the top while the water remains on the bottom.

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

Did you know?

According to research, pregnant women tend to eat more if carrying a baby boy. Male fetuses may secrete a chemical that stimulates their mothers to step up her energy intake.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library