Author Question: Which comment by a patient who recently experienced a myocardial infarction indicates use of ... (Read 60 times)

mpobi80

Which comment by a patient who recently experienced a myocardial infarction indicates use of maladaptive, ineffective coping strategies?

a. My employer should have paid for a health club membership for me.
  b. My family will see me through this. It won't be easy, but I will never be alone.
  c. My heart attack was no fun, but it showed me up the importance of a good diet and more exercise.
  d. I accept that I have heart disease. Now I need to decide if I will be able to continue my work daily.

Question 2

A patient with a somatic symptom disorder has the nursing diagnosis Interrupted family processes related to patient's disabling symptoms as evidenced by spouse and children assuming roles and tasks that previously belonged to patient.

An appropriate outcome is that the patient will:

a. assume roles and functions of other family members.
  b. demonstrate performance of former roles and tasks.
  c. focus energy on problems occurring in the family.
  d. rely on family members to meet personal needs.

bd5255

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Blaming someone else and rationalizing one's failure to exercise are not adaptive coping strategies. Seeing the glass as half full, using social and religious supports, and confronting one's situation are seen as more effective strategies. The distracters demonstrate effective coping associated with a serious medical condition.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The patient with a somatic symptom disorder has typically adopted a sick role in the family, characterized by dependence. Increasing independence and resumption of former roles are necessary to change this pattern. The distracters are inappropriate outcomes.