This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: To plan effective care for patients diagnosed with somatic symptom disorders, the nurse should ... (Read 21 times)

schs14

To plan effective care for patients diagnosed with somatic symptom disorders, the nurse should understand that patients have difficulty giving up the symptoms because the symptoms:

a. are generally chronic.
  b. have a physiological basis.
  c. can be voluntarily controlled.
  d. provide relief from health anxiety.

Question 2

A patient with fears of serious heart disease was referred to the mental health center by a cardiologist. Extensive diagnostic evaluation showed no physical illness. The patient says, My chest is tight, and my heart misses beats.

I'm often absent from work. I don't go out much because I need to rest. Which health problem is most likely?

a. Dysthymic disorder
  b. Somatic symptom disorder
  c. Antisocial personality disorder
  d. Illness anxiety disorder (hypochondriasis)

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

frogdreck123456

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
At the unconscious level, the patient's primary gain from the symptoms is anxiety relief. Considering that the symptoms actually make the patient more psychologically comfortable and may also provide secondary gain, patients frequently fiercely cling to the symptoms. The symptoms tend to be chronic, but that does not explain why they are difficult to give up. The symptoms are not under voluntary control or physiologically based.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Illness anxiety disorder (hypochondriasis) involves preoccupation with fears of having a serious disease even when evidence to the contrary is available. The preoccupation causes impairment in social or occupational functioning. Somatic symptom disorder involves fewer symptoms. Dysthymic disorder is a disorder of lowered mood. Antisocial disorder applies to a personality disorder in which the individual has little regard for the rights of others. See relationship to audience response question.

schs14

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

essyface1

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

Did you know?

Never take aspirin without food because it is likely to irritate your stomach. Never give aspirin to children under age 12. Overdoses of aspirin have the potential to cause deafness.

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library